OND Staff Report
On Dec. 27, the Diocese of Crookston sold Camp Corbett.
The property, which included 1,400 feet of shoreline on Big Elbow Lake in Becker County, was purchased by the diocese on May 3, 1973.
It was named for the Diocese of Crookston’s first prelate, Bishop Timothy Corbett, who led the diocese from its creation in 1910 until 1938.
According to an OND article from August 1973, obtaining a lake front camp was discussed by the Diocesan Priest Senate for more than a year leading up to the purchase.
The articles states: “The intent was to have a facility where parish groups or groups of parishes could carry on a variety of programs such as parish picnics, leadership conferences, religious education programs and specialized programs.”
With a lodge, chapel, six cabins, a bathhouse and playground area, as well as space for tents and campers, the nine-acre property fulfilled those purposes. For 41 years it served as a gathering place for diocesan groups and family reunions. Volunteer groups also gathered for maintenance projects and many donated items such as boats, beds, and other furnishings.
It was open through the summer of 2014. The camp closed because it was not financially sustainable. A 2015 diocesan press release stated: “Camp Corbett was closed this past season because the revenue generated was not sufficient to continue operating. The Diocese of Crookston does not have resources available to subsidize the camp or make the necessary repairs and improvements for viability.”